Friday, May 6, 2011

Security+

Took the Security+ (it's a DOD 8570 thing). The company paid for a 2.5 day bootcamp in preparation. Also, as an added benefit, at the end of the 2.5 days they administered the test right there in the classroom.

The instructor (Ed Varney) did a great job and the course was presented and paced well. He pretty much had his lecture nailed down to the minute, which is great for people like me who have the attention span a sparrow. Too much deviation from the subject at hand and I'm gone. I end up somewhere in the ether with thoughts going between what I’m going to eat for dinner and who the Knicks should pick up in the off-season. But Ed moved along and provided enough enthusiasm in his course to keep me mentally on earth and in the classroom.

I had not taken a CompTia exam since circa 1994 and didn't know what to expect. The course prepared me for the CompTIA way of thinking which was quite valuable. In the end, the test was fair and I would assume 95 percent of the class passed.  Maybe this will kick-start some CISSP studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment